ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia, August 21, 2019
1. The African Union has endorsed Kenya’s Candidature for the United Nations Security Council. The candidates that had expressed interest in the seat from the Eastern Region were Kenya and Djibouti. In an election held by the African Union Permanent Representatives’ Committee earlier today, Kenya got overwhelm support from members present scoring 37 votes against Djibouti 13.
2. Djibouti congratulated Kenya for a well-deserved win.
Amb Mohammed Idris Farah of Djibouti “I congratulate Kenya for a well deserved win and I am sure kenya will ably represent our great continent at the UNSC”
3. Ambassador Catherine Muigai- Mwangi, Kenya Amb. to Ethiopia and Permanent Representative to AU commended Djibouti for its commitment and passion to serve and pledged to take on board some of the important issues that Djibouti was keen to include in the AU Agenda at the UN Security Council.
4. Foreign Affairs Cabinet Secretary Amb Monica Juma congratulated the African Union Permanent Representative Committee for putting their trust on Kenya.
“I wish to thank the AU PRC members for this determination. This endorsement is an affirmation that Kenya has remained true to the decisions and aspirations of the African Union and confirms that it is a safe and dependable pair of hands. Kenya commits to the African brothers and sisters, that we shall be a bold voice for Africa and shall steadfastly promote and defend the African position”. CS Monica Juma
5. The African Union will present Kenya (Eastern) to the UNSC for elections to be held in New York in June 2020 to serve for a period of two years (2021-2022), subsequently joining Niger (Western) and Tunisia (Northern) that were elected in June 2019 to serve in 2020-2021.
6. Given Kenya’s Foreign Policy which is strongly afro-centric, the elections to the UNSC will give the country the opportunity to build consensus across regional and global matters that affect Africa.