The role of Protocol Directorate is to coordinate protocol matters for efficient diplomatic engagement.
Mission Statement:- To extend efficient and effective protocol services in accordance with international protocol practices and with respect to the principle of reciprocity.
2. CHIEF OF PROTOCOL
Ambassador Tabu Irina is the Ag. Chief of Protocol in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Trade. Prior to being Ag. Chief of Protocol, Ms. Irina was Deputy Chief of Protocol from November, 2011 to October, 2014, Deputy Head and Senior Foreign Service Officer at the Asia & Australasia Directorate from October 2011 to June, 2012 and Senior Foreign Service Officer at the Office of the Political and Diplomatic Secretary from September to October, 2011.
Before this period, Ms. Irina served as Deputy Head of Mission and Head of Chancery at the Kenya Embassy Tokyo from March, 2010 – August, 2011, was the First Charge D’ Affaires a.i of the Kenya Embassy Seoul from July, 2007 to 10th December, 2009 and Foreign Service Officer at Kenya Mission to the UN, Geneva from March, 2000 to January, 2005.
Ms. Irina is a holder of MA Degree in International Politics and a Bachelor of Arts undergraduate Degree, majoring in Political Science & Sociology. In her eighteen years at the Ministry, with service to several Directorates and three Kenya Missions abroad she brings extensive experience in Diplomacy and International Relations, and is currently focused on delivering world class protocol services to the Government, public and Diplomatic corps.
The Directorate is tasked to:
- Provide protocol advice and services to Government, public and Diplomatic Corps;
- Ensure that relations with other countries and international organizations are carried out in accordance with international protocol practices, with respect to the principle of reciprocity;
- Coordinate State/Official visits; both inbound and outbound;
- Organize international summits/conferences/ meetings/ events;
- Administer the Privileges and Immunities Act (CAP 179); to Diplomatic Corps and International Organizations accredited to Kenya.
- Facilitate representation of Kenyans abroad; facilitate appointment of Ambassadors/High Commissioners, Permanent Representatives and Honorary Consuls
- Provide consular services to Government officials;
- Protocol officers are tasked with facilitating meetings, ensure proper etiquette for official engagements, and streamline interactions with dignitaries and other VIPs.